- Taylor Swift released her seventh studio album, “Lover,” on Friday.
- Four different deluxe versions, available exclusively at Target, come with photocopied pages of Swift’s old diaries.
- The most interesting entries include one from the night Kanye West interrupted her VMAs acceptance speech in 2009 and one about hiding her relationship with Joe Alwyn in 2017.
- Visit Insider’s homepage for more stories.
In old diary entries, Taylor Swift opened up about two of the relationship dynamics that have defined her public persona: her decade-long feud with Kanye West and her romantic relationship with Joe Alwyn.
Swift included photocopied pages of her diaries from over the years, ranging from 2003 to 2017, with the deluxe version of her newest album, “Lover.” There are four different versions of the bundle, released exclusively at Target on Friday.
The 29-year-old pop star even included an entry that she wrote five days after the 2009 MTV Video Music Awards, when West infamously interrupted her acceptance speech for best female video.
“Let’s just say, if you had told me that Kanye West would have been the number one focus of my week, the media, and my part in the VMAs, I would’ve looked at you crossed-eyed,” Swift wrote in an entry dated September 18, 2009.
“If you had told me that I would win the award I was nominated for, I wouldn’t have believed you,” Swift wrote.
“And if you had told me that one of the biggest stars in music was going to jump up onstage and announce that he thought I shouldn’t have won on live television,” she continued, “I would’ve said, ‘That stuff doesn’t really happen in real life.’ Well… apparently… it does.”
Swift also included a brief yet poignant entry written in August 2016, one month after Kim Kardashian West posted videos of a phone call between West and Swift.
After West name-dropped Swift in his song “Famous,” she condemned the lyrics as “misogynistic.” But Kardashian West’s videos confirmed that her husband had called Swift to get her approval before the song was released – and the public quickly branded Swift a “snake.”
“This summer is the apocalypse,” Swift wrote in her diary.
Interestingly, that was also the summer that Swift reportedly met her current boyfriend, Alwyn.
Another entry from January 2017 appears to reference her new relationship with the British actor, which they kept a secret from the public for months.
“We have been together and no one has found out for 3 months now,” Swift wrote, indicating that she had already relocated to London, where Alwyn lives. “I want it to stay that way because I don’t want anything about this to change or become too complicated or intruded upon.”
Swift and Alwyn have remained secretive about their relationship. They’ve never made a public appearance or walked a red carpet together, and nobody knows exactly how or when they began dating – though Swift certainly appears to allude to Alwyn throughout her new album, especially on songs like “London Boy” and “Paper Rings.”
“I’ve loved you three summers now, honey, but I want ’em all,” Swift sings on the titular track. “My heart’s been borrowed and yours has been blue / All’s well that ends well to end up with you.”
- Read more:
- Taylor Swift’s new album ‘Lover’ leaked early, and fans are already saying it’s the best of her career
- Taylor Swift was apparently falling for her current boyfriend Joe Alwyn while still dating Tom Hiddleston, according to math
- The lyrics to Taylor Swift’s ‘London Boy’ are like nails on chalkboard to real Londoners
- ‘Queer Eye’ star Tan France defends Taylor Swift as a ‘powerful ally’ for the LGBTQ community after some accused her of being opportunistic