- The Mexican soccer club Tigres UANL is taking legal action after a fan appeared to grope the breast of the US women’s national team player Sofia Huerta during a selfie.
- The selfie was taken after a Houston Dash game in Monterrey on Saturday.
- After identifying the fan, Tigres filed a complaint to the attorney general of the state of Nuevo León, according to Medio Tiempo.
- “At Tigres, we’re committed to stamping out any form of harassment in our stadium and our community, including any situation that violates a woman’s dignity or seeks to intimidate, degrade or offend women,” an official club statement said.
- Huerta is yet to comment.
- Read more of our soccer stories here.
- Visit Business Insider’s homepage for more stories.
The Mexican soccer club Tigres UANL is taking legal action after a photo appeared to show a fan groping the breast of the US Women’s National Team player Sofia Huerta during a selfie.
Huerta, 26, who plays for Houston Dash, was posing for photos with fans after her side’s 2-1 defeat in Monterrey on Saturday when the incident is said to have occurred.
The photo, which has been widely shared on Twitter, can be seen below:
— INFO7 (@info7mty) October 8, 2019
“At Tigres, we’re committed to stamping out any form of harassment in our stadium and our community, including any situation that violates a woman’s dignity or seeks to intimidate, degrade, or offend women,” an official statement from the Mexican club, posted shortly after the emergence of the photo, said.
“As a result of events that took place on Saturday, October 5, during which a supposed ‘fan’ reportedly attempted to undermine the dignity of a Houston Dash player at the end of the match, we’ve decided to take action. We will file a lawsuit against whoever is responsible for what took place.”
The Houston Dash reciprocated Tigres’ words with a statement of its own, saying that “such behavior has no place in our game, nor in our society,” and that the club “appreciates the efforts of Tigres to resolve this issue.”
Tigres has identified the man in the picture and filed a complaint to the attorney general of the state of Nuevo León, Medio Tiempo reports. An investigation, it says, has been opened.
Huerta, who has made seven appearances for the US national team, has not commented on the incident, though she did “like” the official statement posted by Tigres on Twitter.
- Read more:
- A Romanian TV-show host has been accused of ‘extreme racism’ after saying on air that Serena Williams looks ‘like one of those monkeys at the zoo’
- PETA has urged the UFC to ‘evaluate its relationship’ with Khabib Nurmagomedov after ‘loathsome’ footage resurfaced showing him fighting a chained-up bear
- One year after being dropped by Nike, an American sprinter just beat a gold-medal record set by Usain Bolt