- Kayak has a new chart that shows the median airfare of specific travel routes over time.
- The chart shows the median airfare for each month and compares historical median airfare prices with those from the previous year.
- You can also use the chart to compare median prices of plane tickets from a single origin to two separate destinations.
- Visit INSIDER.com for more stories.
Booking a flight can feel like a daunting task, but Kayak has released a new feature to help make the process easier.
The travel-booking site recently unveiled a new chart showing the median airfare of various travel routes over time, so people can get a sense of the most expensive months – and the cheapest – to travel to a destination.
Kayak’s chart lets users see the cheapest time to book airfare between destinations at a glance
For example, the chart below shows median airfare prices from New York to Amsterdam.
While flights have cost as little as $415 in January and February, the same trip can cost as much as $646 in July, according to Kayak.
To view more detailed numbers and compare historical prices of flights with those from the previous year, Kayak users can click on the “view year-over-year” box above the graph.
The prices of flights from New York to Amsterdam in 2018 were a bit higher than they were historically. For example, flights between the two cities in July cost $646 on average, while in July 2018 median prices were as high as $735, according to Kayak.
You can also use the chart to compare the median prices of plane tickets from a single origin to 2 different destinations
To do so, click the “compare destinations” box.
The chart below shows that flights from New York to Amsterdam, on average, are cheaper than flights from New York to Athens. Still, both travel routes follow similar patterns of price drops and increases.
To view the most information about the travel routes, users can click both the “view year-over-year” box and the “compare destinations” box:
To use the chart yourself, visit Kayak’s website.
- Read more:
- The cheapest places to travel every month of 2019
- Denver, Colorado, is the cheapest destination to visit this winter. These 12 photos will make you want to book a flight.
- We compared Google Flights and Kayak to find out which one is better for booking travel, and there’s an obvious winner
- 18 photos that will make you want to immediately book a trip to Castries, St. Lucia