- Rihanna recently stepped out in New York City wearing a 2000s-inspired outfit that included a pair of heeled flip flops.
- As it turns out, she’s actually been trying to bring back the style since 2017, when she featured similar shoes in her Fenty Puma By Rihanna runway show.
- Celebrities like Emily Ratajkowski, Kim Kardashian West, and Shailene Woodley have since caught on to the trend.
- Even retailers like ASOS and Yeezy are selling their own heeled flip flops.
- Visit Insider’s homepage for more stories.
Whether you love them or hate them, heeled flip flops are officially back in style.
Not only did Rihanna wear them while walking around New York City this week, but celebrities like Kim Kardashian West and Emily Ratajkowski have also donned the shoes in recent months. Now, you can even purchase heeled flip flops from retailers like ASOS and Yeezy.
Here’s a closer look at the trend taking over the footwear industry.
Heeled flip flops were all the rage in the early 2000s
From Christina Aguilera to Tara Reid, heeled flip flops were everywhere at the start of the Millennium. Some stars chose shoes with small kitten heels, while others opted for sandals with a much higher platform.
What all heeled flip flops had in common, however, was the thong-style strap that crossed the front of each foot.
Rihanna started to bring the style back in 2017
During her Fenty Puma By Rihanna runway show in September 2017, Rihanna sent models on stage wearing heeled flip flops.
The black-and-green shoes feature the Puma logo, as well as a thong strap on each foot.
She later wore the style herself while walking around New York City
Rihanna stepped out wearing the shoe style on Sunday. She paired the heels with a strapless white dress and layers of diamond jewelry, creating a look that would fit perfectly in a closet from the early 2000s.
At one point during the night, she also wore a pair of narrow sunglasses that perfectly matched her outfit.
She’s not the only celebrity who is fond of the trend
On June 24, Kim Kardashian West put a trendy twist on the style. She shared a photo of herself wearing sky-high flip flops – which have transparent straps and chunky gray heels – on Instagram.
Two days later, Emily Ratajkowski attended a Kérastase party in Paris, France, while wearing a strappy pair of the footwear. Her shoes feature a tan sole, thin blue heels, and orange straps that wrapped around her ankles.
She paired the heels with a glamorous minidress covered in sparkles.
More recently, Shailene Woodley stepped out in a unique pair of heeled flip flops, which stand out thanks to pointed toes and PVC panels above each heel.
She wore the shoes while attending the ICONS By Carine Roitfeld event, hosted by Harper’s BAZAAR, in New York City on September 6.
Thanks to retailers like ASOS, it’s now easy to try the trend yourself
Jeffrey Campbell’s version of the shoes is a bit simpler – they feature transparent straps and short kitten-style heels. At the time of this post, they retail for $49.95 at Nordstrom.
Those interested in going the designer route might want to check out Yeezy. The brand’s Reflective Neoprene Sandals, which have a thick flip-flop strap, are currently retailing for $520 at Moda Operandi.
- Read more:
- I hated Crocs more than anyone, but just one store visit made me understand why teens love the brand
- Vans has an entire collection inspired by ‘The Nightmare Before Christmas,’ and it includes everything from sneakers to crop tops
- Models at Paris Fashion Week were forced to wear strange dolphin ‘pedestal shoes’ that they could barely walk in
- Britney Spears is facing accusations of animal cruelty after posting a photo of $6,000 snakeskin heels she says she’s never worn before