- Costco is opening 11 new locations starting in May, BGR reported.
- The retailer could be opening as many as 28 this year, a top executive told the WSJ in January.
- Costco's visits in February 2022 were up 6.7% compared to February 2019, according to Placer.ai
Costco is expanding, opening at least 11 new stores from May to November of this year, BGR reported Saturday.
According to the company's website, 11 new stores are opening in next several months, including a location in Riverton, Utah in May 2022 to Gimhae in the South Gyeongsang Province in South Korea in August 2022. (Costco already has a host of international locations.)
This expansion was expected. Bob Nelson, Costco's senior vice president of finance and investor relations, told the Wall Street Journal in January the chain would potentially open as many as 28 locations this year, as Best Life noted in a story discussing the new stores and Insider previously reported.
Costco did not respond for a request for comment about whether it's on track to open 28 stores this year.
Costco is also winning on traffic, according to Placer.ai's Q1 2022 Top Performers report. It put Costco's traffic for January 2022 as up 6.4% compared to January 2019, with a similar result for February.
Amid high gas prices, people have also signed up for Costco memberships for its lower-cost fuel offerings, Insider reported in March.
Here's the full list of new Costco locations expected in the next six months, according to the retailer's website.
- Riverton, Utah - May 2022
- Business Center location in Anjou in Quebec, Canada - June 2022
- North Oshawa in Ontario, Canada - June 2022
- Mibu in Tochigi Prefecture, Japan - July 2022
- Auckland, New Zealand - August 2022
- St. Augustine, Florida - August 2022
- College Station, Texas - August 2022
- Murrieta, California - August 2022
- Verona, Wisconsin - August 2022
- Gimhae in the South Gyeongsang Province, South Korea - August 2022
- University City, Missouri - November 2022