- Sam Pratt, from Florida, flew 33 family members aged 2 to 72 over to Hawaii for a family vacation last week.
- The family used the trip to celebrate the fact that Pratt had entered remission in a stage 3 blood cancer diagnosis.
- Pratt had racked up more than a million Southwest Airline miles through other trips and credit card points, and he used the points to buy his relatives plane tickets.
- Visit INSIDER’s homepage for more stories.
A grandfather took 33 of his family members on a trip to Hawaii using a more than 1 million Southwest Airline miles that he had racked up.
Sam Pratt, from Longwood, Florida, flew family members aged 2 to 72 over to Hawaii for the trip last week, My State Line reported.
The family used the trip to celebrate the fact that Pratt had entered remission in a stage 3 blood cancer diagnosis, according to a press release from Southwest Airlines provided to INSIDER.
“When we heard the doctors say the words ‘remission’ and that he would be able to live with this type of cancer and then he got cleared to fly, we were just jumping up and down,” Emily Peterson, Pratt’s daughter, told My State Line.
Pratt had racked up the frequent flyer miles through other trips and credit card points.
During the vacation, the family also celebrated birthdays and anniversaries and even had a gender reveal party.
“Never in a million years that we think this would be possible. This is a dream It truly, truly is,” Pratt told My State Line.
Southwest Airlines invited the Pratt family to be VIP guests at an event at Queen’s Surf Beach on August 10 as a thank you for being loyal customers to the brand.
The event featured live music, games, and a free movie screening.
In a statement to INSIDER, a Southwest Airlines spokesperson praised the company’s rewards program.
“We’ve put a lot of Heart into our Rapid Rewards program – Members enjoy flexibility, plenty of award seat availability and places to travel to, and the best overall service to fit their travel needs. Those are the elements that our Members value most,” the spokesperson said in an emailed statement.
- Read more:
- Intimidated by points and miles? Here are 8 steps for beginners looking to earn travel rewards
- Lisbon is the hottest travel destination for millennials in 2019. We asked 20-somethings for their best travel tips – from fairy-tale castles to buzzing nightlife, here’s what they said.
- 10 ways to have fun at Disney World without even buying a ticket
- I’ve been traveling around the world for 2 years, and here’s why I almost always wait until the last minute to book a trip