- Real Madrid’s first-team squad saw Christmas come early Monday as all its members were gifted new cars by the club sponsor Audi.
- The car manufacturer allowed each member of the club’s 27-man squad to choose a new set of wheels, amounting to a total value of $2.4 million, according to the Spanish newspaper AS.
- The captain Sergio Ramos chose the most expensive model, valued at $133,000, while manager Zinedine Zidane went for the cheapest, valued at $75,000.
- See the full list of who chose what below.
- Read more of our soccer stories here.
- Visit Business Insider’s homepage for more stories.
Real Madrid’s first-team squad saw Christmas come early Monday as all its members were all gifted new cars by the club sponsor Audi.
The car manufacturer allowed each member of the club’s 27-man squad to choose a new set of wheels, amounting to a total value of just under $2.4 million, according to the Spanish newspaper AS.
The club posted a video of numerous players with their new whips.
— Real Madrid C.F. 🇬🇧🇺🇸 (@realmadriden) December 16, 2019
The captain Sergio Ramos opted for a new A8 50 TDI quattro Tiptronic, the most valuable car chosen by any player, which is valued at $133,000.
Lees ook op Business Insider
The lowest-value car selected was the $75,000 RS 3 Sportback TFSI quattro S Tronic, chosen by Karim Benzema, Thibaut Courtois, and manager Zinedine Zidane in white, gray, and black respectively.
A full list of who took home what is here, courtesy of AS:
A8 50 TDI quattro Tiptronic ($133,000) – Sergio Ramos
Q8 50 TDI quattro Tiptronic ($97,000) – Dani Carvajal, Lucas Vázquez, Toni Kroos, James Rodríguez, Eden Hazard, Federico Valverde, Nacho Fernandez
e-tron 55 quattro ($93,000) – Raphaël Varane
A7 Sportback 50 TDI quattro Tiptronic ($88,000) – Vinicius Jr., Álvaro Odriozola, Marco Asensio, Marcelo
Q7 50 TDI quattro Tiptronic ($85,000) – Brahim Díaz, Luka Jovic, Mariano Díaz, Luka Modric, Rodrygo Goes, Casemiro, Ferland Mendy, Gareth Bale, Isco
Q7 50 TDI quattro Tiptronic ($83,000) – Alphonse Areola, Éder Militão
RS 3 Sportback TFSI quattro S Tronic ($75,000) – Karim Benzema, Thibaut Courtois, Zinedine Zidane
The players will be able to keep the cars until the end of the season before returning them, AS reports, but will receive a new model at the same time next year should the manufacturer’s partnership with the club continue as expected.
Zidane’s squad can’t spend too much time playing with its new Christmas toys, however, with Real Madrid set to take on its rival FC Barcelona in El Clásico on Wednesday night.
The clash at Camp Nou is the first time the two sides have met this season after the original match in October was postponed over protests in Catalonia. It will decide who will claim the top spot in La Liga just ahead of Christmas.
Barcelona is on top with 35 points, but Madrid trails only by goal difference, meaning a win for Zidane’s side will see it jump its nemesis into first place.
The game also holds special importance because the winner will take the crown of having won the most El Clásico wins in history, with both sides having won 72 times in the past.
Kick off is at 7 p.m. GMT.
- Read more:
- A 17-year-old FC Barcelona prodigy scored a Messi-esque goal to become the youngest-ever Champions League scorer and he described it as ‘a dream’
- A Zidane-like 21-year-old has rejected a move to Liverpool FC, has been called ‘amazing’ by Pep Guardiola, and is already valued at $66 million
- Luis Suarez has backed Lionel Messi to continue playing even though the Argentine sparked retirement rumors by saying ‘the moment of withdrawal is approaching’