Storied Wall Street bank Goldman Sachs has been going through some massive changes under CEO David Solomon.
It’s taken big steps involving transparency and inclusion to change up its culture. It has seen a slew of partner departures — many in the securities division. And it’s making big pushes into businesses like wealth management and transaction banking.
The latest on people moves, deals, wealth management
- The code for Goldman Sachs’ internal data platform is now open for anyone to use. The bank’s data chief tells us why the firm decided to share something seven years in the making.
- Goldman Sachs’ Joe Duran is planning to hire dozens of advisors for the firm’s wealth business, and says it’s getting a boost from companies pushing early retirements and layoffs
- Goldman Sachs just shook up its divisions to create a new consumer and wealth-management arm that will be run by Stephanie Cohen and Tucker York
- Read the full memo Goldman Sachs just sent announcing a leadership shakeup in its powerhouse M&A group
- A majority of Goldman Sachs’ summer interns prefer Instagram to TikTok, believe remote work hurts relationships, and think Biden will be elected president in November
- Goldman Sachs, JPMorgan, and Citi are Wall Street’s most active fintech investors. These are the 10 startups they’ve poured money into so far this year.
- Wall Street is starting to get back to work. Here are the latest return-to-office plans for 5 firms, including Goldman Sachs and Bank of America.
- Goldman Sachs just lost another wealth team to UBS in one of the industry’s biggest financial adviser moves of the year
- POWER PLAYERS: Meet 7 Goldman Sachs real-estate bankers who are advising companies on megadeals like Blackstone’s $18.7 billion bet on warehouses
- Wall Street banks like Goldman Sachs are hiring journalists from the Wall Street Journal and Bloomberg to repair their own images. Here’s a look at their strategies.
- Goldman Sachs is reportedly looking to acquire General Motors’ credit-card business away from Capital One as it looks to rev up its consumer-banking unit
- A peek inside Goldman Sachs’ internal idea factory that’s hatched products like a LinkedIn for Wall Street. Here’s what else it’s trying to disrupt at the bank.
- REVEALED: The 20 leaders in charge of the powerful Goldman Sachs merchant-banking division that’s raising $100 billion for a new alternatives push
- A drive-in Hamptons concert where the Chainsmokers played and Goldman Sachs’ CEO DJed is under fire for drawing crowds that weren’t social distancing
- Inside the rise of Ram Sundaram, the leader of a secretive Goldman Sachs desk that’s minting billions by designing some of the bank’s most imaginative — and controversial — trades
- Inside Goldman Sachs’s first in-person board meeting since the pandemic began
- Goldman Sachs designed its glitzy London office with tons of amenities, but little parking. In a post-pandemic world, it could be a big snag as the firm looks to bring workers back in.
- $60 billion quant fund Two Sigma just hired Goldman Sachs’ first-ever chief data officer to lead its massive tech team
- Goldman Sachs just hired Kurt Hoffman, an expert in distressed situations and bankruptcy, to join a trading unit known for some of the bank’s most lucrative deals
Culture and talent
- Goldman Sachs just overhauled how it does performance reviews, and 10% of staff will get rated underperformers each year
- Goldman Sachs’ summer internship is going virtual, joining the likes of Bank of America and Morgan Stanley who are running remote programs
- Read the full memo Goldman Sachs just sent to staff announcing its new head of regulatory affairs. The former White House counsel will be tasked with helping clean up the bank’s 1MDB drama.
- Goldman Sachs just hired 2 senior recruiting execs focused on luring top talent from other firms —and it’s a huge departure from the firm’s traditional promote-from-within mentality
- Read the full memo David Solomon just sent to 38,000 Goldman Sachs employees explaining why he’s moving his management team out of stuffy offices and into open seating
- Goldman Sachs CEO David Solomon and his management team are ditching their stuffy offices and moving to an open floor plan closer to the people so they can feel the buzz of New York headquarters
- Goldman Sachs just unveiled a new gender pronouns initiative as part of a broader inclusion push at the Wall Street firm
- Read the memo Goldman Sachs just sent to its employees unveiling a new pronouns initiative
- Inside a 38,000-person remote work rollout at Goldman Sachs: sleepless nights, assembly lines, and an Amazon-like hub on a Manhattan trading floor
- How a massive New York hospital secured 130,000 N95 masks from China with help from a senior partner at Goldman Sachs, private jets, and a call to Warren Buffett
- Goldman Sachs CEO David Solomon just sent a firm-wide voicemail about the coronavirus crisis. Here’s what he told employees.
- Goldman Sachs and Bank of America just updated their WFH policies — again. Here’s what they’re telling employees about the latest steps aimed at combating the spread of coronavirus.
- Read the full memo Goldman Sachs top brass just sent detailing the firm’s coronavirus contingency plans, including separating employees into ‘blue’ and ‘white’ teams to alternate working from the office and home
Consumer push, transaction banking, wealth management
- Goldman Sachs is building an AI-powered digital assistant and checking account for its Marcus consumer bank. Here’s how it’s shaping up.
- Why Goldman Sachs, which has a $509 billion wealth business geared towards ultra-rich clients, is buying a small Virginia fintech for financial advisers and retail investors
- Goldman Sachs just announced its first partnership for transaction banking as it looks to build a new $1 billion business moving money around the world
- Goldman Sachs is sending much less mail to potential Marcus customers. A senior exec lays out the reason why.
- A Goldman Sachs exec explains why the bank isn’t sweating concerns over the Apple Card’s profitability
- A Wall Street firm crunched the numbers around how much Apple will make from its new credit card with Goldman Sachs
- Here’s why Goldman Sachs just did its biggest deal in nearly 20 years as part of a pivot to less wealthy clients
- Goldman Sachs execs are opening up about their plans for Marcus, and they think it can do to banking what iTunes did to the music industry
- Goldman Sachs’ partnership with Apple could move it a step closer to being ‘a bank branch in your pocket’
- Human resources is the next battleground for Wall Street wealth advisers as Morgan Stanley and Goldman Sachs jockey over new turf
- Goldman Sachs has a novel method for predicting the next economic slump, and it’s at the heart of its hot new business
- Goldman Sachs’ top tech exec explains how a fresh slew of senior hires are transforming the bank’s approach to building products
- Amazon just entered the small business loan market with Goldman. Here’s how the e-commerce giant is building a bank for itself.
- JPMorgan and Goldman Sachs are finally beginning to embrace fintech startups. Here’s how they test the waters before committing to working with them.
- We talked to the execs behind Bloomberg’s new data partnership with Goldman Sachs. Here’s why they think it’s a sign of Wall Street’s future.
- Goldman Sachs is putting its own Marquee app on Amazon’s cloud in a pitch to lure more fintech developers
- Goldman Sachs is embracing open-source code and its chief data officer says it’s part of a “new world” of software
- Read the memo the new Goldman tech chief sent to the firm’s 9,000-plus engineers where he urges them to ditch presentations in favor of Amazon’s famous narratives
- A new Goldman Sachs tech exec hired from Amazon is taking a page from the Jeff Bezos playbook by urging engineers to ditch PowerPoint and write memos
- Goldman Sachs’ new CTO shares his strategy for attracting outside developers to work more closely with the bank, giving a glimpse into the future of how Wall Street will work
- A Verizon executive is joining Goldman Sachs as chief technology officer as the Wall Street bank reshuffles its ranks
- Marty Chavez is retiring from Goldman Sachs. We chatted with him about the bank’s tech transformation, why now is the right time for him to step down, and what he’s planning next.
- Goldman Sachs is scrapping a homegrown email app it once touted — and it’s a sign the bank is moving away from building tech in house
- Goldman Sachs is exploring plans to create a Netflix for data, and it marks a new frontier for Wall Street
- Goldman Sachs’ internal idea factory hatched a plan for the Google of Wall Street, and it’s now looking for the next big thing to disrupt the bank
- Goldman Sachs’ big bet on the future of Wall Street had a rocky start. Here’s the inside story of the bank’s struggle to grow its next business and an exclusive look at its plans
- Bank of America is shaking up its global markets division and poached a Goldman Sachs exec to fill a key new role
- Goldman Sachs’ massive quant business now rivals AQR and Two Sigma. We talked to the bank’s top quant about asset growth, finding data sources, and why critics of computerized trading are wrong.
- Goldman Sachs’ CEO tells us the bank is winning over quant clients. That helped it outpace rivals like JPMorgan last quarter.
- Goldman Sachs is cutting about 5% of sales and trading staff after senior equities leaders delivered a tough town-hall talk
- Goldman Sachs is moving away from a tool championed by its former CFO as it pushes its traders to see clients where they once saw quick wins
- Goldman Sachs is shuffling its top stock trading executives as the business tries to claw back market share from Morgan Stanley and JPMorgan
- Goldman Sachs’s bond trading unit is still trying to find its way — and it represents a key challenge for new CEO David Solomon
- Read the full memo Goldman Sachs just sent naming 4 execs to lead its private-equity investments across the merchant-banking division
- Goldman Sachs is making targeted hires for a ‘storefront’ for alternative investments that’s modeled after firms like KKR and Blackstone
- Goldman Sachs’ push into private equity is ruffling feathers at Blackstone — and it might be a sign of big client skirmishes to come
- Goldman Sachs execs are jockeying for control of the firm’s lucrative private investing units after a plan to merge it — and the stakes couldn’t be higher
- Meet the Goldman Sachs execs tasked with building the firms’ new Blackstone-esque private-investing unit — and pumping up the bank’s flagging stock price
- ‘It’s good to be Rich’: Meet the Goldman Sachs banker who has built a private investing empire that goes head-to-head with Blackstone — and you’ve probably never heard of him
- Goldman Sachs is considering a shakeup of its alternative investing units as part of a plan to simplify the bank’s strategy
- Goldman Sachs is assembling a team of senior bankers focused on middle-market private equity. Here are the key hires and the playbook they’ll use to land new clients.
- Goldman Sachs unloaded some of its WeWork shares before its investment bankers pitched investors on what it once considered a $60 billion-plus IPO
- Goldman Sachs just revealed it sold part of its Uber stake to SoftBank and it helped boost a $4.5 billion business
- A senior Goldman Sachs fintech banker was about to join JPMorgan — but then got lured back —and it’s another sign of the fierce battle for M&A talent
- Goldman just promoted a star tech banker close to Tesla and Microsoft to co-head one of its most profitable businesses, as incoming CEO Solomon makes his mark
- Goldman Sachs just announced a shakeup of its leadership — and it signals the rise of bankers over traders
- A tug-of-war between Goldman Sachs and JPMorgan over a top banker highlights Wall Street’s $1 trillion battleground
Investor day 2020
- Inside Goldman Sachs’ first investor day, where avocado toast and crab apples were served with tech talk, 3-year plans, and a surprising trading mea culpa
- Goldman Sachs just revealed a new wealth brand at its first-ever investor day. It shows how the bank is trying to reshape its strategy — and image.
- Goldman Sachs just unveiled hundreds of slides laying out the future of the company. Here are the 10 crucial slides that show how it plans to transform into a bank for everyone.
- Goldman Sachs is rethinking how it makes private-equity bets with its own money – and one analyst thinks that shift will be a big driver of its stock price
- Goldman Sachs is now hiring high-school graduates for roles in Salt Lake City, one of the company’s ‘high value’ locations
- Goldman Sachs has lost at least 54 partners since David Solomon became CEO. We’re keeping a running list — and compiling details from insiders about how the exits are being celebrated.
- Read the full memo Goldman Sachs’ top brass just sent to staff announcing 2 heads of the bank’s private-investing arm are out as it’s gearing up to raise billions
- 2 coheads of Goldman Sachs’ private-investing business are retiring, in a blow to David Solomon’s fundraising plans
- A Goldman Sachs partner who just resigned is leaving behind a job overseeing $2 billion for a London VC with a leading stake in neobank Revolut
- Read the memo announcing the departure of Adam Korn, the Goldman Sachs exec who was ‘instrumental in building and championing’ innovations like the bank’s Marquee platform
- Another Goldman Sachs partner is out. HR chief Dane Holmes is the latest key player to leave the Wall Street bank in a matter of days.
- Goldman Sachs is offering buyouts to encourage partners to leave as CEO David Solomon works to shrink one of the most elite clubs on Wall Street
- Goldman Sachs is making renewable energy a big priority based on its hiring strategy. It’s a sign that its ideas incubator is working.
- Goldman Sachs is shaking up the way it stocks one of the most elite clubs on Wall Street — and it shows how banks are back to making money again