- A Golden Retriever and a dolphin that met at the Dolphin Research Center in Grassy Key, Florida, have become best friends.
- Gunner was an 8-week-old puppy when they met.
- Attracted by Gunner’s calm demeanor, Delta the dolphin, then 4, would come to say hello, and bring Gunner toys, wanting to play with him.
- Eight years later, their unlikely friendship is still going strong.
- Visit Insider’s homepage for more stories.
There’s nothing more wholesome than an animal friendship that spans species.
Except maybe one that’s also spanned almost a decade.
Marie Blanton, a senior trainer at the center and Gunner’s mom, told Insider that trainers work to build relationships with dolphins and to get to know them as individuals. As such, she wanted to expose them to as many different things as possible – including her then new, 8-week-old puppy who would accompany her to work every day.
“When [Gunner] first went on the docks, I was expecting him to bark, or get really excited, but he did the exact opposite: He just laid down and watched,” Blanton said. Apparently, this calm demeanor intrigued Delta, then 4, who Blanton describes as “very friendly, playful, and curious.”
“I started to notice that every time I would bring Gunner down, Delta was the first dolphin over to the dock. He would bring him his toys as if he was trying to play with him,” she said.
And indeed, Gunner took the bait, quickly learning to play with Delta by grabbing at the toys he was being presented with.
“The friendship just blossomed over time,” she said. “As both boys have gotten a bit older, they don’t get to see each other quite as much now,” she said, as Gunner only accompanies her to work a few times a month now.
Despite not seeing each other as often as they might like, Blanton insists that they recognize each other straightaway, and that Delta is still always the first dolphin to come say hello.
- Read more:
- A FedEx driver takes his 2 dachshunds along on his delivery route after his doggy daycare closed, and the pictures will make your day
- There’s an entire Facebook group dedicated to bad wildlife photos. Here are some of the funniest ones.
- 14 adorable photos of unlikely animal friends
- A koala and wombat have become unexpected friends after meeting at an Australian zoo