Welcome to Insider Healthcare. I'm Megan Hernbroth, and I cover startups and venture capital for the Insider healthcare team. Here's today's news:
- Insider is hosting a webinar with an OB-GYN and pediatrician to discuss what pregnant women should know about the coronavirus vaccine;
- Digital health startup Ro raised half a billion dollars;
- A top biotech analyst shares a warning for investors.
If you're new to this newsletter, sign up here. Tips about startups or investors that are reshaping the future of healthcare? Email me at email@example.com or tweet at @Megan_Hernbroth. I also accept dog pics.
Insider is hosting a live event Friday with an OB-GYN and pediatrician to discuss what pregnant women should know about the coronavirus vaccine
- Insider is hosting a webinar on the COVID vaccine in pregnancy at 11am PST / 2pm EST on Friday, March 26.
- Insider senior health reporter Anna Medaris Miller will interview maternal and child health specialists about what we know, and don't, about the COVID-19 vaccine in pregnancy.
- The doctors will discuss whether there is a "better" COVID-19 vaccine for pregnant people, if there's an ideal time in pregnancy to get vaccinated, how to interpret emerging research on vaccines in pregnancy, and more.
Digital health startup Ro just raised half a billion dollars. Here's how the CEO plans to spend the cash in his quest to overthrow the existing healthcare system.
- Ro, a digital health startup that offers prescription delivery and telemedicine, raised $500 million.
- The funding round came together over four weeks, cofounder and CEO Zachariah Reitano told Insider.
- Ro will invest in expanding its pharmacy service and plans to add capabilities like remote patient monitoring.
A top Wall Street analyst just downgraded 6 pharma stocks and warned there could be 'significantly more downside' for biotech
- SVB Leerink analyst Geoffrey Porges downgraded six drug companies, including GlaxoSmithKline.
- He said new leadership at the FDA, FTC and HHS are creating headwinds for the drug industry.
- Increased regulatory scrutiny could limit M&A and make it more difficult to launch new drugs.
More stories we're reading today:
- Biotech founders are turning to Deep Nishar as a must-have investor. The SoftBank exec explains the strategy behind his winning bets. (Insider)
- The US could see a 4th coronavirus surge driven by new variants, CDC chief warns, as cases rise across more than half the country (Insider)
- Experts tell Americans that all of the authorized COVID-19 vaccines prevent death and severe illness in a push to offset hesitancy (CNN)
- Here's a look at the efforts behind vaccinating home-bound Americans (STAT News)